Traditional Portuguese Rabelo Boat DIY Wooden 3D Puzzle for Adults
- Free shipping in the USA
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
3D Puzzle Portuguese Icons® is a collection of DIY wooden jigsaws for adults, that assumes itself as a new concept of products that aims to become a fun experience in the dissemination of Portuguese vast historical and cultural heritage. This puzzles are made out of recyclable materials making our planet more sustainable.
- Fully developed and produced in Portugal
- Made from recycled wood, with advanced laser cutting technology
- Consists of 17 pre-cut wooden pieces, which are separated in a customized packaging with assembly instructions
- Unique design and style featuring the traditional Portuguese Rabelo Boats
- Perfect gift souvenir from Portugal
- This is not a toy. Not suitable for children under age of 14
- Measurements: 7.8" x 1.5" x 4.7" Inch (L x W x H)
The Rabelo Boat
The Rabelo boat is a traditional Portuguese wooden cargo boat that was used for centuries to transport people and goods along the Douro River. Native to the Douro region, it does not exist in any other place in the world.
The Rabelo boats used to be the nautical horses that carried barrels of Porto wine from the Douro valley vineyards to the Port Wine cellars in Vila Nova de Gaia. For centuries, when there were no suitable roads or a single railway alongside the vineyards, Rabelo boats were the most efficient and reliable mode of transportation, if not only for their exclusivity.
The name Rabelo means 'little tail', on account of the long timber projection from the rear of the boat which is used to steer the vessel. Although not in commercial use anymore, these vessels may still be seen, belonging to port wine companies, along the river in Porto and Gaia.
Every year on June 24, St John's Day, a race of Rabelo boats is held, an important and popular part of the festivities of the São João do Porto festival.